Sunday 13 March 2011

Paper Experimentation.

Based on the photos I took of the shells I began making simple shapes out of paper. Here are a few of the shells I made based on my own knowledge on paper manipulation; they do not focus entirely on the techniques Richard Sweeney showed us.


I tried to create this sculpture without using much adhesive or any staples at all if possible just by twisting the paper, an interesting texture was created but I prefer a final piece to be less crumpled, it has a nicer finish if the paper is still smooth and clean cut.


Here the central swirling form is very recognisable as a shell shape.



For the shell below I did use Richard Sweeneys techniques of slicing the paper and folding it to create 3d form. I then scored the paper at the front to create a bend in the shape of a shell.


Here is a zoomed image of the scored fold.


For this sculpture I cut the paper into tabs again, but this time used glue to stick each tab together, for me this is the most recognisable sculpture relating to a shell form, because of its hollow centre and bend of direction.
The paper also casts a shadow creating an interesting texture similar to that of a shell.


The same sculpture just a different angle photograph.


I made this sculpture using a similar method to the one above I just changed the tab sizes.

Here is a simple swirling shell form that could easily be repeated to make up a larger sculpture. It would look interesting on a really small scale and made out of card. I could try to use this simple shape several times to create a larger different shell form. Then it would follow the theme of repeat.


3 sheets of paper were used to create this sculpture, each layer just stapled slightly looser than the sheet beneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment