Thursday 24 February 2011

Developing Research - My Photography Of Shells.

These primary source photographs of shells were taken by myself and are from the collection we have found and kept from many holidays abroad or down South. Any shells included in this post, will have a particular texture or repetitive pattern to it I find interesting or relevant to my ideas.

The swirling circular movement of the shell towards the central point could look really interesting If I manage to create it with paper.


I generally just found the shape of this shell interesting and it reminded me of one of my earlier paper sculptures when I first attended Richard Sweeneys workshop. This would be the kind of shape I would maybe like to create for my final design. Their are 2 areas of repeat in this shell, the rocky areas that are sticking out at the front, and the decreasing shape at the back.



Again this starry like shape shell is very repetitive in form and fits in well for the theme of this project.


The texture of this shell reminded me of the work we did in Richard Sweeneys second workshop, where we scored paper to create an edgy spikey shape. See the photos below.




This was created in Sweeneys second workshop, it was another technique he had shown us for this project.



The simple form of this shell, in the respect that it naturally grows larger at one end could easily be created through paper manipulation. And with a few scores here and there a similar texture and pattern could be created. Well, Il have a good go at it anyway...



A photograph of a collection of shells...

I included this photograph just for fun, I found that the beach huts were appropriate !

No comments:

Post a Comment