Friday 18 February 2011

Natural forms - Shells.

Shells tend to have a repetitive pattern to their shape. 


I have chosen to research images of shells on the internet so it broadens my knowledge on their structure and texture. From this research I will experiment with paper to create a sculpture as close to the shapes of the shells in the images below.


The shape of this shell reminds me of an oyster, -another natural form; or in fact the shape of a crabs body. I found the middle part of this particular shell joining the rock together rather fascinating, and it intrigued me as to whether  I would be able to create a similar structure through paper manipulation. Soon I will post images of my own paper designs I have developed from this image.


The above and below image was found http://www.seashell-collector.com/


This image reminded me of a paper sculpture I designed in Richard Sweeneys' workshop. I see 2 shapes here, the main body of the shell that holds the smaller ball shaped shell in the centre. 
I don't see an exact repetitive theme here in this image however again like the image before it intrigued me to experiment to see if it would be possible for me to make this out of paper.




I thought to include this image I found on Google images as the simple line drawing on the left shows the basic bend and line contour of where i would possibly score the paper to create a similar shape. 


I will attempt to create all 3 of the images above using only paper, glue, tape or a stapler...Wish me luck!


Some other primary sources that I could look at would be....


WAVES.
Waves tend to be a very repetitive primary source due to their continuous curvaceous lines and circular forms. The simple cut and fold tab technique that Richard taught us could definitely create a paper sculpture based on the wave form. On a large scale aswell it would look really impressive.


I also have many of my own photographs already that i have taken on previous holidays of waves etc, so I would already have a lot of research and primary source photographs to base my ideas on.




WATER/RIPPLES.


Water ripples are very repetitive in shape and form, the circles becoming smaller and smaller, or the difference in depth of the lines. This kind of texture could be created with paper through Richards scoring technique he showed us, where if you gently scrape the paper with your scalpel and fold, a gentle dent appears. If that technique were top be repeated throughout the sheet of paper it would look really effective.




TREES


Not a primary source I would like to particularly focus on however trees and branches are very repetitive in form. The way one branch leads to several more is a theme you could base a paper sculpture on. The variety of shapes and sizes and length aswell could leave the final piece open with endless opportunity for an interesting detailed design.




FEATHERS.




FLOWERS(ROSES.)


Finall, if you look in my sketch pad I have researched into flowers, before my idea of basing the final piece on a shell was brought about. The petals and curves of the flower are beautiful, and in Sweeneys second workshop I attempted to make a rose flower out of card and tape. The general idea that came to mind with a flower would be to make one flower, then repeat it several times to make a larger flower.





No comments:

Post a Comment