Tuesday 15 February 2011

Richard Sweeney Workshop 1

The first workshop I attended for this module was lead by the talented designer Richard Sweeney, who scluptures and manipulates paper to create interesting and intricate pieces of art.

Here are a few of his sculptures that I found most aesthetically pleasing and intriguing.




He first showed us a few techniques on how to create simple paper manipulations, however he made it look much easier than it actually was. At first I found it quite difficult,  but I began to feel more confident as the workshop went on.

In this worshop we were allowed to use paper only, we could make scores or cut across the paper, cut into the paper and make folds or tabs. But no glue, tape or any other material was to be used. The designs we created were to be influenced by the title of the module ...REPEAT.

Here are a few of my own design (attempts) that follow the techniques Richard had shown us.




At first I began simply cutting slits and tabs into the paper to create a repetitive  pattern, this design reminds me of the sea waves crashing in to shore. Richard explained that it is not only the sculpture that is the art; it is also the photography that portrays the design.

Here is another photograph at a more interesting angle, to make the image more visually pleasing.


On the photo above I feel the presence of the theme "repeat" is much stronger and visible. The way the light casts creating shadow makes the sculpture look more clean cut.

A few more of my designs...


I stuck with the idea of cutting slits and tabs in to the paper, but this time I made it more complicated by slotting each slit into one another, and at a different angle.





This design was follwing a similar technique but instead of creating tabs, I slot each slit of paper into one another to create a spherical shell sculpture, and then again took photos at an angle to portray the theme "repeat" at its visually strongest.

No comments:

Post a Comment